When I was growing up, my mom always made us this delicious Matzah Brittle on Passover. Ok, so now that I’m gluten-free and dairy-free, I begged her to make it for me again. And my amazing mom did!! It’s like heaven, melting in your mouth with a crunchy, sweet taste. My only critique is that after a few days, the GF matzah doesn’t hold its crispness, but the taste is still there. It can be used year-round on other kinds of crackers. However, may family thinks there’s no better cracker on the market than using GF Matzah and/or GF Matzah Crackers from Yehudah. The recipe I’m giving is a rough one since my mom never measures anything out.
The nice thing about Passover, is that anything that is certified Kosher for Passover (gebrocht), cannot contain any grain in it, which means soy is out, too. This is a good time to stock up.
Matzah Brittle Recipe (GF/DF)
Serving Size: about 9 whole matzah, serving about 12 people
Prep/Cook Time: it takes about 10 minutes to make from start to finish
- Yehudah GF Matzah (about 9 squares)
- about 1 cup of brown sugar (or more if you’d like)
- about 1 stick of butter = 1/2 cup of butter (I used Earth’s Balance, Soy-free spread)
- Optional Toppings: Chocolate Chips (I use Enjoy Life), Coconut Flakes, Crushed Nuts
- Pre-heat oven to 350*F.
- Using 2 baking sheets, spray with grease or rub your butter/butter substitute on them. I prefer to put down parchment paper instead.
- Melt the butter and brown sugar together in the microwave for about 30 sec – 1 min (depending on the power of your microwave), or over a double boiler at a medium heat.
- While mixture is melting, lay out matzah squares on baking sheets.
- When mixture is melted, stir it together very well. (Melted, it shows about 2 cups on the liquid measurer). The Earth’s Balance doesn’t blend as well as butter, so you really have to stir it to keep it from settling.
- Using a spoon or ladle, pour mixture over matzah so that it is coating it.
- If adding toppings, add the toppings of your choice on top of the matzah and mixture.
- Bake in over for 6 minutes at 350*F.
- Let cool, and then break into piece.
- Store in airtight container.