One day, not long after I had gone gluten-free, my grandma, Honey, called me, to tell me of a recipe she made that just so happens to also be gluten-free. I couldn’t have been more thrilled to think of a dessert with peanut butter and chocolate all in one that had NO GLUTEN!! And takes about 10 minutes to make and 10 to bake!
After a lot of playing with the basic recipe my Honey had given me, I perfected a relatively low sugar dessert. The secret is the chocolate chips stashed in the middle of the ball.
The peanut butter we use just has roasted peanuts and nothing else added. I have often found that certain peanut butters make me sick and then I wonder if they’ve been crossed processed. In Philadelphia you can get Crazy Richards, which was actually made by a local Philadelphian who ground his own peanuts. Roomer has it from a parent I know that Richard use to run a small in-home daycare in the city, all the while, making his own peanut butter.
If we’re looking for an organic one, we have found Santa Cruz makes an excellent one.
Gluten-Free Inside-Out Peanut Butter Balls
Serving Size: about 20 1″ balls
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10-12 minutes
- 1 cup of peanut butter – we use peanut butter that just has roasted peanuts and nothing else added
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- about 1/2 cup of chocolate chips – we use Enjoy Life
- large mixing bowl
- cookie sheet
- parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 325*F.
- In a bowl, mix egg, sugar, and peanut butter all together until there is a smooth consistency.
- Take a pinch in your hand and roll it into a 1″ ball.
- Use your thumb to place a small whole in the middle of it.
- Fill well with a handful of chocolate chips.
- Fold over edges of dough around chips.
- Roll dough back into a ball.
- Bake at 325*F for about 10-12 minutes. I like mine soft, but if you prefer them crisper, then bake for longer.