I decided it was time to use a different grain tonight. I was thinking of rice, but then I realized we should try something else. Polenta is considered the Italian version of grits. It’s a super fast cooking grain. I even took a quicker fix than just using the grain and making a paste with water, I used the tube!!
This dish makes an excellent side dish or hors d’oeuvre for a dinner party.
Gluten-Free Broiled Polenta with Spinach and
Serving Size: about 20 polenta rounds
- 1 tbsp evol (used for polenta)
- 1 tube of polenta precooked
- 2 tbsp evol (used for sautéing)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 package mushrooms, chopped
- 2-3 cups of fresh spinach
- generous amount of salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp of crushed dried rosemary
- 4 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2-1 cup water
- *optional – parmesan cheese (do not use if vegan)
- Preheat oven to broil and arrange the top rack about 4″ from the top.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the tube of polenta into 1/4″ thick rounds and lay them out on the baking sheet.
- Using the TBSP of olive oil, lightly brush the tops of each round and then broil them until the begin to brown about 10-15 minutes.
- While they are cooking, put olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is warm, put in the diced onions and as they begin to brown, add the garlic, sauteing for another 30 seconds or so.
- To the onion mixture, add the mushrooms and cook on a high heat (or medium-high) until they release their juices.
- Continue stirring for another few minutes until all the juices have been reabsorbed. Then all the handfuls of spinach and toss until wilted.
- Add salt, pepper, and rosemary. Cook for another 30 seconds.
- Then add in the tomato paste and 1/2 cup of the water. (I actually used 4 previously frozen ice cubes of tomato paste.) Bring it to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Continue adding water little by little if the mixture is drying out.
- Once water is absorbed (about 10 minutes), remove from heat and add the balsamic vinegar.
- Top the broiled polenta with the mushroom mixture and if desired, sprinkle with parmesan cheese.